Saturday, July 26, 2008

the 1st in a series of posts on the tools and technologies i use to prepare food for myself and friends

the most basic thing i must have are knives i trust. by trust i mean they will get me where i want to go effortlessly and safely. over the years i have collected or been given 100's of knives. i may have about 30 of them left. seems folks like to "borrow" (read: pilfer) good knives. most folks think it is senseless to pay good money for good knives, but when they see one unattended ... where did it go?

each knife was acquired for a specific task that it can complete, how good it feels in the hand, and how well it is expected to perform. i have knives for chopping, slicing, carving, boning and all myriad of tasks, but if i do not have all of these great tools at my disposal, and i have to settle on just one, it almost always ends up being this one shown below. a very basic 8" chef's knife.


i bought it in budapest, hungary in 2002 at a massive ikea store. my friend jamie, from manila, was with me. we used to fix the most awesome meals in his apartment. the handle is some sort of new-tech-rubberized-sani-safe-no-slip-grip-shit. the blade is your basic grade japanese stainless. not to thin, but not so thick it bludgeons rather than cuts. i can work for hours on end and my hand never tires of it. and, other than a few seldom needed cuts, this nondescript blade will always cut the mustard when i am in a jam (or is that pickle?).

if i recall, it cost me just a few dollars. i should have purchased the entire set.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Right you are. I have a block full of different knives. The one that I use all the time is the simple 8" chef's knife.

the lunch guy said...

that's 'cause you stood next to me for a few seasons working the cold kitchen, and being the observant guy that you are, you picked up on that.

but back then the knife of choice was this: http://www.victorinox.ch/images/content/page52/5_2930_26.jpg

i always knew you would go far. just wait until i post the picture of you and i dressed up for the pickle barrel's mini-skirt party.

your past will haunt you mike.

Mike said...

Easy there, I think I have a few skeletons from your closet I could pull out...besides, I know Rex.

And what's with the capcha? Me and the other reader are the only posters. Turn off the capcha, ok?

Mike said...

Oops, that's captcha.